Yes of course it does and I am sure you have read or heard the same answer to your question again and again in different blogs, webpages and vlogs. Congratulations you have come to the right place. Your every queries about surya namaskar will be answered .
You might have always looked yourself into the mirror and imagined how your body might seem if you could make your tummy flat. Before Diving into how surya namaskar works for the belly let us know about belly fat.
Types of fat
- Triglycerides: The fat that circulates in your blood.
- Subcutaneous fat : The layer just below the skin layer.
- Visceral fat : Visceral fat is located beneath muscles in your stomach.
Among these Triglycerides and Subcutaneous fat are the types of belly fat. Visceral fat is more dangerous as it poses many dangers to your health when there is too much of it.
Causes of belly fat.
- Poor diet cause weight gain, slow a person’s metabolism, reduce a person’s ability to burn fat
- Excess alcohol causes male to gain weight around their bellies.
- Lack of exercise makes it hard for a person to lose fat.
- Smokers had more belly and visceral fat than nonsmokers.
- Stress and lack of proper sleep makes you grow belly fat.
Complication of belly fat
You must act immediately to reduce belly fat because it might lead to different complications like heart disease, heart attack, high blood pressure, stroke, type 2 diabetes, breast cancer, colon cancer and dementia….
Do you fade up just thinking about gym sessions or jogging? Don’t be. Surya namaskar will not make you tired as it does after hitting a gym session or a mile of jogging. Instead it will make you more energetic and give you mental clarity by bringing fresh, oxygenated blood to the brain. Plus doing it for maximum rounds will make you feel as if you are high on some intoxicant. As per my experience i would like to name it as getting high in a safe way.
Surya Namaskar( Sun Salutation)
Surya namaskar which is also called sun salutation has been handed down from the enlightened sages of the vedic age(c. 1500 – c. 500 BCE). It is very well known and one of the most holistic and simple techniques for losing weight. Also, an effective way of loosening up, stretching, massaging and toning all the joints, muscles and internal organs of the body. It induces a healthy, vigorous and active life, while at the same time preparing for spiritual awakening and the resulting expansion of awareness.
It is a series of 12 steps of 7 postures or asanas. Each asana is first started with the left side of your body and then the right side of your body, this is one set of Surya namaskar. Twelve sets i.e twenty four round of Surya namaskar is what you need to do in a day. Somehow It may take some time to see the difference but trust me and trust the process and slowly you will be happy with the way your body transforms.
How Sun Salutation reduce belly fat?
Let us discuss the asanas included in the series of Surya Namaskar which combinedly help you to reduce your belly fat.
Pranamasana (prayer pose) establishes a state of concentration and calmness in preparation for the practice to be performed.
Hasta uttanasana expands the lungs for more oxygen, strengthens the back and stretches blades
Dandasana( Staff pose) improves circulation and digestion. It reduces excess fats and builds your core strength. abdominal muscles which leads to belly fat reduction.
Padahastasana (hand to foot pose) massages and tones the digestive organs. Spinal nerves are stimulated and toned and helps to remove excess weight.
Ashwa Sanchalanasana (equestrian pose) tones the abdominal organs and gives a good stretch to the lower back. It strengthens the hips, legs, ankles and feet, and induces balance in the nervous system
Parvatasana (mountain pose) strengthens the arms, legs and torso and stretches the palm, chest, back, hamstrings, calves and feet. It improves your digestion which leads to weight loss.
Ashtanga Namaskara (salute with eight parts or points) strengthens the leg and arm muscles, develops the chest and exercises the region of the spine between the shoulder
Doing one set of Surya namaskar quickly burns about 13.9 calories. You can start 6 sets of Surya namaskar as a beginner and then can gradually increase your sets to 12, 24, 36, 42, 54 and so on. Doing 108 rounds of Sun salutation everyday will help you lose one pound for every two days. You will not only get reduced weight but will surely be amazed by tons of health and mental benefits.
Disadvantage of Surya namaskar
Surya namaskar has no disadvantage in actuality but can show some side effects if you fail to follow the contradiction prior to the practice.
- You must prepare your body with warm up exercises before attempting Surya namaskar.
- Due to excess toxins in the body, you may develop fever, acute inflammation, boils or rashes. If such cases are seen you must discontinue the practice and wait until the toxins have been eliminated.
- Surya namaskar should not be practiced by people suffering from high blood pressure, coronary artery diseases or by those who have had a stroke.
- Hernia or intestinal tuberculosis patients should avoid it.
- People with back conditions should consult a medical expert before commencing this practice.
- This practice should be avoided during the onset of menstruation. The practice may be resumed If there are no adverse effects or after the initial flow or towards the end of the period.
- During pregnancy it may be practiced with care until the beginning of the twelfth week.
- Approximately forty days after delivery for re-toning the uterine muscles.